These university and college quotes will motivate you to study, learn, and succeed.
Attending college could be the most fun or the most stressful time of your life.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign found that students who read motivational quotes before exams perform better than those who don’t.
The study suggests that inspirational quotes can have a positive impact on academic performance.
The journey towards higher education is a path of dedication, patience, and hard work.
These college quotes will inspire you to get good grades while still having a memorable experience.
Throughout university, you’ll make new friends, learn a vast number of things, and experience unique lifestyles and perspectives.
Read this collection of college quotes to truly appreciate the achievements and struggles of being a university student.
If you understand the importance of education, the college experience will appeal to you.
These college quotes about higher education highlight the realities of attending university.
Remember these inspirational sayings and proverbs the next time you’re walking around campus.
Whether you spend most of your time at parties or in the library, you’ll love these incredible university insights.
Share this list of college quotes with all the students, professors, and alumni that you know.
You might also like these graduation quotes on success, dreams and your future.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
College quotes to motivate you on your quest for knowledge and success
Research by the University of Warwick found that reading inspirational quotes can boost motivation and self-esteem.
The findings indicate that inspiration quotes help students to overcome obstacles and achieve their goals.
1. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about education.
2. “No man should escape our universities without knowing how little he knows.” – J. Robert Oppenheimer
You will also enjoy our article on learning quotes.
3. “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on spicoli quotes.
4. “College has given me the confidence I need to fail.” – Jarod Klintz
You will also enjoy our article on learning quotes and sayings.
5. “Definition of a college professor: someone who talks in other people’s sleep.” – W.H. Auden
You will also enjoy our article on graduation quotes.
6. “The aim of the college, for the individual student, is to eliminate the need in his life for the college; the task is to help him become a self-educating man.” – George Horace Lorimer
You will also enjoy our article on motivational sports quotes.
7. “The things taught in schools and colleges are not an education, but the means to an education.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on happy friday quotes.
8. “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” – Malcolm X
You will also enjoy our article on school quotes.
9. “Every year, many, many stupid people graduate from college. And if they can do it, so can you.” – John Green
You will also enjoy our article on first day of school quotes.
10. “Educating yourself does not mean you were stupid in the first place, it means that you are intelligent enough to know that there is plenty left to learn.” – Melanie Joy
You might also like these funny college quotes that are on another level.
College quotes to open you up to new opportunities
According to a study by the Education Advisory Board, motivation is the most crucial factor in determining student success in college.
The study found that 90% of students cite motivation as crucial to their achievement.
11. “College is the reward for surviving high school.” – Judd Apatow
You will also enjoy our article on new friends quotes.
12. “A college degree is not a sign of a finished product but an indication a person is prepared for life.” – Reverend Edward A. Malloy
You will also enjoy our article on party quotes.
13. “You can lead a boy to college but you can’t make him think.” – Elber Hubbard
You will also enjoy our article on granddaughter quotes.
14. “Education is the best provision for life’s journey.” – Aristotle
You will also enjoy our article on morning quotes.
15. “Months are different in college, especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months –– they’re like dog months.” – Rainbow Rowell
16. “College inspired me to think differently. It’s like no other time in your life.” – Lari Oleynik
17. “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character –– that is the goal of true education.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
18. “College is the best time of your life. When else are your parents going to spend several thousand dollars a year just for you to go to a strange town and get drunk every night?” – David Wood
19. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” — Maya Angelou
20. “College is like a fountain of knowledge and the students are there to drink.” – Chuck Palahniuk
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of knowledge quotes for those who love learning.
College quotes that will motivate you to study hard
According to a report by the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2020, about 19.9 million students were expected to attend American colleges and universities.
This figure has been steadily increasing over the years, highlighting the growing importance of higher education in today’s society.
21. “Opportunities don’t happen. You create them.” — Chris Grosser
22. “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.”― General Colin Powell
23. “You have to stay in school. You have to. You have to go to college. You have to get your degree. Because that’s the one thing people can’t take away from you is your education. And it is worth the investment.” – Michelle Obama
24. “The American Dream is one of success, homeownership, college education for one’s children, and have a secure job to provide these and other goals.” – Leonard Boswell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of American dream quotes that will inspire you to achieve your own version of success.
25. “College is a refuge from hasty judgment.” – Robert Frost
26. “Unemployment rates among Americans who never went to college are about double that of those who have a postsecondary education.” – Bill Gates
27. “The aim of a college education is to teach you to know a good man when you see one.” – William James
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of education quotes about learning and success.
28. “When I was in college, I wanted to be involved in things that would change the world.” – Elon Musk
29. “If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” – Frank Zappa
30. “In my bright, utopian future world, they will hand out college educations like cups of water at the end of the L.A. Marathon.” – Henry Rollins
College quotes to inspire your academic journey
A survey conducted by the Association of American Colleges and Universities found that employers prioritize critical thinking, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills when hiring college graduates.
These skills are often developed through a college education.
31. “My favorite college experience was probably leaving college.” – Marshawn Lynch
32. “In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that.” – Mary Oliver
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Mary Oliver quotes that will give you a brand new perspective on life.
33. “Success isn’t overnight. It’s when every day you get a little better than the day before. It all adds up.”― Dwayne Johnson
34. “When bright young minds can’t afford college, America pays the price.” – Arthur Ashe
35. “There are two kinds of people in this world: those who want to get things done and those who don’t want to make mistakes.” – John Maxwell
36. “I couldn’t go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years.” – Ray Bradbury
37. “It is not hard for me to remember when I was in college. I loved many things about college life: I loved learning. I loved the comradery. And I loved football.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
38. “Every young man or woman should weigh the matter well before concluding that a college education is out of the question.” – Orison Swett Marden
39. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.”― Robert Collier
40. “Going to college made me realize you have to have real spaces of privacy, and you have to establish those early.” – Cole Sprouse
Other college and university quotes to inspire you
A study by the Pew Research Center found that college graduates are more likely to volunteer, vote, and be active in their communities than those without a degree.
This suggests that a college education not only benefits individuals but also has positive societal impacts.
41. “The same independence that got me into trouble in high school got me praise in college.” – Alan Dershowitz
42. “Free speech is the foundation of an open and liberal democracy from college campuses to the White House.” – Hasan Minhaj
43. “Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.” – Leonardo da Vinci
44. “If you have four years to complete your college education, do it.” – Bo Jackson
45. “The privilege of a university education is a great one; the more widely it is extended the better for any country.” – Winston Churchill
46. “The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” – Malcolm Forbes
47. “An education isn’t how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It’s being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don’t.” – Anatole France
48. “A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.” – Theodore Roosevelt
49. “The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” – Aristotle
50. “Education doesn’t cease when you leave college or leave the university. Education is a lifetime process.” – Jim Rohn
Don’t forget to also check out these senior year quotes for graduation and the yearbook.
More college quotes and sayings
According to a study published in the Journal of Higher Education, college graduates earn an average of $1 million more over their lifetime than individuals with only a high school diploma.
This highlights the importance of investing in higher education and encourages students to persevere through the challenges that come with obtaining a college degree.
51. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.” – Brigham Young
52. “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
53. “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” – William Butler Yeats
54. “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” – Jim Rohn
55. “Educate a boy, and you educate an individual. Educate a girl, and you educate a community.” – Adelaide Hoodless
56. “Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern nor Western, it is human.” – Malala Yousafzai
57. “Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.” – Joseph Stalin
58. “What you learn today, for no reason at all, will help you discover all the wonderful secrets of tomorrow.” – Norton Juster
59. “Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.” – B.F. Skinner
60. “Education is the movement from darkness to light.” – Allan Bloom
Don’t forget to also check out these graduation quotes from famous films about success.
College quotes to further your education goals and go further
A survey conducted by the National Center for Education Statistics found that more than 70% of college graduates had a job within six months of graduation.
This statistic shows that a college degree can provide valuable job opportunities and help individuals establish successful careers.
61. “There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.” — Zig Ziglar
62. “A college education shows a man how little other people know.” — Thomas Chandler Haliburton
63. “College inspired me to think differently. It’s like no other time in your life.” — Larisa Oleynik
64. “College ain’t so much where you been as how you talk when you get back.” — Ossie Davis
65. “Colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.” — R.S. Ingersoll
66. “College is a place to keep warm between high school and an early marriage.” — George Gobel
67. “You will either step forward into growth, or you will step backward into safety.” — Abraham Maslow
68. “Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest when you haven’t planted.” — David Bly
69. “The chief value in going to college is that it’s the only way to learn it really doesn’t matter. ” — George Edwin Howes
70. “A college education should equip one to entertain three things: a friend, an idea and oneself.” — Thomas Ehrlich
College quotes that provide perspective
The National Student Clearinghouse Research Center reports that nearly 60% of college students complete their degree within six years of enrolling in college.
While this statistic shows that college can be a challenging journey, it also highlights the importance of perseverance and determination in achieving academic success.
71. “College isn’t in everyone’s hearts. I am living proof, though, that school doesn’t mess up your plans. It gives you more experiences to write about.” –J. Cole
72. “My college years are a blur.” –Robert Ben Garant
73. “All of my friends who have younger siblings who are going to college or high school – my number one piece of advice is: You should learn how to program.” –Mark Zuckerberg
74. “My college experience was like everyone else’s. I learned a lot. I gained a new perspective on the world and on people that I’m so thankful and appreciative for.” –Kyle Carpenter
75. “I think a college education is important no matter what you do in life.” –Phil Mickelson
76. “College was especially sweet because of the positive, hopeful atmosphere of a college campus.” –Jerry Kramer
77. “Getting through high school and college was one of my greatest achievements.” –Ann Bancroft
78. “One of the great mind destroyers of college education is the belief that if it’s very complex, it’s very profound.” –Dennis Prager
79. “I got a wonderful college education. I went to Harvard. In those four years, I accumulated a lot of knowledge, but I also created a kind of habit of learning that has stayed with me my whole life.” –John Lithgow
80. “The most obvious purpose of college education is to help students acquire information and knowledge by acquainting them with facts, theories, generalizations, principles, and the like. This purpose scarcely requires justification.” -Derek Bok
College quotes for people who want a different kind of education
81. “A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.” -Theodore Roosevelt
82. “My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.” -Maya Angelou
83. “College isn’t the place to go for ideas.” -Helen Keller
84. “Being considerate of others will take your children further in life than any college degree.” -Marian Wright Edelman
85. “I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.” -Al McGuire
86. “Many kids come out of college, they have a credit card and a diploma. They don’t know how to buy a house or a car or health insurance or life insurance. They do not know basic microeconomics.” -Jesse Jackson
87. “In college, I used to underline sentences that struck me, that made me look up from the page. They were not necessarily the same sentences the professors pointed out, which would turn up for further explication on an exam. I noted them for their clarity, their rhythm, their beauty and their enchantment.” -Jhumpa Lahiri
88. “Universities used to prepare young adults for the real world. I dare say the graduates today go in without a clue and graduate without a clue. It’s time to acknowledge the college degree is not worth what it was in the past. Times are changing, and so is the way we prepare our youth to survive in a competitive world.” -Dale Archer
89. “Just because I don’t have a college degree doesn’t mean I am not smart!” -Emma Stone
90. “The best math lesson we can teach college students this year is to subtract a tuition increase and benefit from the dividends of higher education.” -Jodi Rell
Short College Quotes To Keep You Inspired
91. “And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed).” — Dr. Seuss
92. “Struggling to decide what to do after graduation is… a sort of rite of passage to the next phase of your life.” — Gloria Davidson
93. “Education is the key to unlocking the world, a passport to freedom.” — Oprah Winfrey
94. “Develop a passion for learning… you will never cease to grow.” — Anthony J. D’Angelo
95. “College is fun as long as you don’t die.” ― Tsugumi Ohba
96. “The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” — B. B. King
97. “Going to college offered me the chance to play football for four more years.” — Ronald Reagan
98. “The best way to predict your future is to create it.” — Abraham Lincoln
99. “A little progress each day adds up to big results.” — Satya Nani
100. “Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.” — Ralph Marston
Thought Provoking College Quotes That Help You To Maintain Focus
101. “Focus on doing the right things instead of a bunch of things.” — Mike Krieger
102. “Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.” — Abraham Lincoln
103. “You will find the key to success under the alarm clock.” — Benjamin Franklin
104. “So long as your desire to explore is greater than your desire to not screw up, you’re on the right track.” — Ed Helms
105. “The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.” — Vidal Sassoon
106. “Just remember, you can’t climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
107. “You will never have more energy or enthusiasm, hair, or brain cells than you have today.” — Tom & Ray Magliozzi
108. “Life is an improvisation. You have no idea what’s going to happen next and you are mostly just making things up as you go along.” — Stephen Colbert
109. “Remember, when it comes to applying for jobs, books ARE judged by their cover!” — Patricia Akins
110. “With the realization of one’s own potential and self-confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.” — Dalai Lama
College Quotes For Celebrating Years Spent In College
111. “The first dream I had was just to get a college education. I got through college in three years, taking extra classes in summer school.” — Eli Broad
112. “When I was in my freshman year at college I took some acting classes and found that I fell in love with it again.” — Mary-Kate Olsen
113. “I love to box. I once took a kickboxing class in college and got totally hooked.” — Sophia Bush
114. “I’ve been composing music all my life and if I’d been clever enough at school I would like to have gone to music college.” — Anthony Hopkins
115. “I went to military college in Canada and graduated as an officer in the Navy but also as an engineer.” — Marc Garneau
116. “I studied the cello for a long time, from when I was little up through college.” — Lev Grossman
117. “I was known around the college for jamming in the lounge.” — Bernie Worrell
118. “I was always a good student, but I didn’t read that much until i was 18 and I was working my way through college.” — James Patterson
119. “I like college football, but I’m a huge college basketball fan. I could sit and watch every game of March Madness and be happy. That could be a vacation.” — Lewis Black
120. “If I’d stayed at college I would have become a teacher.” — Syd Barrett
College Quotes for Learning More About Life
121. “I had higher math SATs than in English – yet I became an English major in college.” — Christie Hefner
122. “My favorite thing is still journalism. I’m almost 50. This has been my life ever since I was in college.” — David Talbot
123. “I can remember at college, living on 30-cent meals.” — Sargent Shriver
124. “My parents put everything in a trust fund for me. I won’t get it until I’m 18, so I’ll use it for college.” — Heather O’Rourke
125. “I’m a big sports fan. College football is my favorite.” — Verne Troyer
126. “I don’t think that players learn how to play any other aspect of the game in high school or college.” — Oscar Robertson
127. “I remember when I was in college, I used to watch Julia Child’s cooking show during dinner and joke with my roommates about becoming a TV chef.” — Martin Yan
128. “I am often amazed at how much more capability and enthusiasm for science there is among elementary school youngsters than among college students.” — Carl Sagan
129. “Some people get an education without going to college. The rest get it after they get out.” — Mark Twain
130. “Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something.” — Dennis Rodman
College Quotes To Further Your Education
131. “So if a college education is indispensable, the challenge as I see it is how to make it more accessible.” ― Gordon Gee
132. “It occurred to me in my junior year of high school. I got my first letter from a big college. I still have that letter to this day – a letter from Indiana.” ― Bo Jackson
133. “I went to a Canadian college for performing arts and then I auditioned for Canadian Idol. That honestly was my golden ticket.” ― Carly Rae Jepsen
134. “I guess when people ask what is the biggest transition to the NBA from college, it is definitely defense and the mental part.” ― Magic Johnson
135. “I’d done recordings, little demos, since I was in college, which I used to get gigs. But I never thought I’d have a record label.” ― Norah Jones
136. “In college I had a weekend gig at a restaurant, a solo thing that was the best practice I could have ever had. That’s where I learned to coordinate my singing and my piano playing.” ― Norah Jones
137. “In college, I had a lot of friends who were writers and wanted to be writers and I felt intimidated by it. I just didn’t know if I had any gift or voice and I had no confidence about it.” ― Rashida Jones
138. “I always wanted to be some kind of writer or newspaper reporter. But after college… I did other things.” ― Jackie Kennedy
139. “I was lucky to have a successful career as a model, but that was just a way to pay off my college loans.” ― Padma Lakshmi
140. “I went to college because I felt like I was supposed to. I graduated from public high school and I did all the things that I was supposed to do.” ― Mila Kunis
College Quotes To Help You Self Educate Yourself
141. “Colleges don’t make fools, they only develop them.” ― George Lorimer
142. “The college graduate is presented with a sheepskin to cover his intellectual nakedness.” ― Robert M. Hutchins
143. “A college boy cannot successfully go through life by graduating in football, baseball, or highballs, for the responsibilities of life are not ball-bearing.” ― William H. Murray
144. “A college degree is not a sign that one is a finished product but an indication a person is prepared for life.” ― Reverend Edward A. Malloy
145. “By making college unaffordable and student loans unbearable, we risk deterring our best and brightest from pursuing higher education and securing a good paying job.” ― Mark Pocan
146. “That’s what college is for – getting as many bad decisions as possible out of the way before you’re forced into the real world. I keep a checklist of ’em on the wall in my room.” ― Jeph Jacques
147. “Fathers send their sons to college either because they went to college or because they didn’t.” ― L. L. Henderson
148. “Never get married in college; it’s hard to get a start if a prospective employer finds you’ve already made one mistake.” ― Elbert Hubbard
149. “Don’t ever dare to take your college as a matter of course – because, like democracy and freedom, many people you’ll never know have broken their hearts to get it for you.” ― Alice Duer Miller
150. “It is not my wish to lounge about the college and fatten on a fellowship all my days. I am always trying to look upon a college life as a medium not an end.” ― Thomas Edward Brown
College Quotes on the Value of College Education
151. “College is a time to challenge yourself and to grow, both as a person and as a student, and to find your place in the world.” ― Taylor Swift
152. “College is a time to form lifelong relationships and to create memories that will stay with you forever.” ― Sheryl Crow
153. “College is a place where you can find your voice and use it to make a positive impact on the world.” ― Bill Gates
154. “College is a time to take risks, to make mistakes, and to learn from your experiences.” ― Mark Zuckerberg
155. “College is a place where you can learn from others and from the world around you, and where you can find the courage to make a difference.” ― Hillary Clinton
156. “College is a time for self-discovery and for learning how to think critically and independently.” ― Malala Yousafzai
157. “College is a place to experiment, to try new things, and to find out who you really are.” ― Steve Jobs
158. “College is an opportunity to challenge yourself and to push beyond your limits, to explore new ideas and to find your passions.” ― Ellen DeGeneres
159. “College is not just a time to party and have fun, but it’s a time to learn and grow, to discover yourself and your place in the world.” ― Oprah Winfrey
160. “College is a place to keep your mind open to possibilities and to strengthen your resolve to pursue your dreams.” ― Sheryl Sandberg
Which of these college quotes inspires you to go back to school?
A college degree is an extremely valuable asset to have in life.
Being well educated can boost your potential and open you up to new opportunities.
This collection of quotes about university will motivate you on your quest for knowledge and success.
If you want to expand your horizons, attending college is the perfect path for you.
Remember these inspirational quotes throughout your academic journey as a student.
If you need some motivation to help you study, take a break and read this collection of inspirational college quotes.
The university lifestyle can be hectic and stressful, so it’s important to remember your goals and maintain a positive attitude.
Keeping these words and insights in mind can help you keep a clear perspective.
What are your favorite college quotes about education?
Let us know in the comment section below.