These Navy quotes and sayings show us why having a strong Navy force is important to maintaining peace and stability in the United States.
All factions of the United States military are incredibly important to maintaining peace and protecting our country and each sector has a very specific role.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to Google, high-performing teams are twice as likely to report that their leaders communicate effectively compared to low-performing teams.
Navy quotes and sayings can help reinforce the importance of communication and inspire individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders.
Since three sides of the continental U.S. are surrounded by water, it is important to have a strong Navy force.
The Navy is in charge of defending against offensive operations carried out by enemy forces and in protecting our borders, territory, and trade.
Here is our list of Navy quotes and sayings that honor the United States Navy and share the Navy’s strong philosophy of teamwork and leadership.
Don’t forget to also check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Famous Navy quotes and sayings
PwC reports that more than two-thirds of executives believe that creativity is the key to success in the future.
By sharing famous Navy quotes and sayings that encourage creativity and outside-the-box thinking, individuals and teams can be inspired to develop new ideas and approaches that drive success.
1. “I have not yet begun to fight!” — John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on veterans day quotes.
2. “A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace.” — President Theodore Roosevelt
You will also enjoy our article on enemy quotes.
3. “Don’t give up the ship!” — James Lawerence
You will also enjoy our article on collaboration quotes.
4. “We have met the enemy and they are ours…” — Oliver Hazard Perry
You will also enjoy our article on marine quotes.
5. “Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!” — David Glasgow Farragut
You will also enjoy our article on ocean quotes.
6. “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!” — Howell Maurice Forgy
You will also enjoy our article on warrior quotes.
7. “Sighted Sub, Sank Same.” — Donald Francis Mason
You will also enjoy our article on Hedy Lamarr quotes.
8. “Anchors aweigh, my boys, anchors aweigh.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
You will also enjoy our article on good man quotes.
9. “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.” – Shane Patton
You will also enjoy our article on Thomas Edison quotes.
10. “No matter what happens, the U.S. Navy is not going to be caught napping.” – Frank Knox
You will also enjoy our article on Pearl Harbor quotes.
Navy quotes about the Navy
Salesforce reports that 86% of employees and executives cite a lack of collaboration or ineffective communication as a significant reason for workplace failures.
By sharing Navy quotes and sayings emphasizing the importance of working together, individuals and teams can be motivated to collaborate more effectively and communicate more clearly.
11. “Until we meet again, here’s wishing you a happy voyage home.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about education.
12. “And without a respectable navy – alas, America!” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on Jim Halpert quotes.
13. “It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” — George Washington
You will also enjoy our article on Jim Morrison quotes.
14. “I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm’s way.” — John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on words of wisdom.
15. “A navy is essentially and necessarily aristocratic.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on mentor quotes.
16. “My plan for forming a proper corps of sea officers is by teaching them the naval tactics in a fleet of evolution.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on engineering quotes.
17. “A captain of the line must at this day be a tactician.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on airplane quotes.
18. “But I need use no arguments to convince you of the necessity of making the emoluments of our navy equal, if not superior, to theirs.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on Charlie Brown quotes.
19. “Much wisdom, and more knowledge than we possess, is in my humble opinion necessary to the formation of such a naval constitution as is absolutely wanting.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on communication quotes.
20. “I propose not our enemies as an example for our general imitation, yet, as their navy is the best regulated of any in the world, we must, in some degree, imitate them and aim at such farther improvement as may one day make ours vie with – and exceed – theirs.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on Captain America quotes.
21. “There is now, perhaps, as much difference between a battle between two ships and an engagement between two fleets, as there is between a duel and a ranged battle between two armies.” – John Paul Jones
You will also enjoy our article on Service quotes.
22. “The Navy has both a tradition and a future ─ and we look with pride and confidence in both directions.” — George Anderson
Navy SEAL quotes and sayings
According to a study by the US Navy, effective communication is critical to the success of naval operations, and poor communication can lead to errors, misunderstandings, and accidents.
The Navy recognizes the importance of communication skills and provides extensive training to its personnel, emphasizing the need for clear and concise communication to ensure the safety and success of missions.
23. “All your excuses are lies.” – Jocko Willink
You will also enjoy our article on David Goggins quotes.
24. “I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done.” – David Goggins
25. “It’s all mind over matter, if I don’t mind, then it doesn’t matter.” – Kory Knowles
26. “Farewell to foreign shores, we sail at break of day, of day.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
27. “Truly – my mind never told me to give up though my body was beaten down.” – Stew Smith
28. “Your mind is the epicenter of sustained personal growth. Strengthen it in silence.” – Mark Divine
29. “The Navy ship returned fire after being fired upon.” —Charlie Brown
Motivational Navy quotes about teamwork and leadership
A survey conducted by the Navy found that the top three leadership qualities valued by sailors were integrity, accountability, and decisiveness.
This highlights the importance of strong leadership and the need for leaders to embody these qualities to gain the trust and respect of their team members.
30. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf
31. “If there is not the war, you don’t get the great general; if there is not a great occasion, you don’t get a great statesman; if Lincoln had lived in a time of peace, no one would have known his name.” — Theodore Roosevelt
32. “Because the crew was convinced that I was “on their team” there were never any issues with negative criticism… You as a mentor have to establish that you are sincerely interested in the problems of the person you are mentoring.” — David Marquet
33. “In teamwork, silence isn’t golden. It’s deadly.” — Mark Sanborn
34. “Effective teamwork begins and ends with communication.” — Mike Krzyzewski
35. “If we don’t communicate, we certainly can’t get much done and if we don’t communicate authentically, what we get done is less effective.” — Michele Jennae
36. “A leader must inspire or his team will expire.” — Orrin Woodward
37. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” — George Shinn
38. “Trust is knowing that when a team member does push you, they’re doing it because they care about the team.” — Patrick Lencioni
39. “Teamwork builds trust and trust builds speed.” — Russel Honore
40. “A team is not a group of people who work together. It is a group of people who trust each other.” — Simon Sinek
Other inspirational US Navy quotes
A study by the Naval Postgraduate School found that effective teamwork is essential for the success of naval missions and can lead to increased job satisfaction and motivation among team members.
This demonstrates the value of teamwork and how it can have positive effects on both individual and team performance.
41. You may fire when you are ready Gridley.” — George Dewey
42. “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.” – John F. Kennedy
43. “Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.” — John F. Kennedy
44. “For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a purpose being in the Navy. It wasn’t about money and rank or prestige. It was about raising the flag. We do what we do because no one else can or will do it. We fight so others can sleep at night. And I had forgotten that.” – Timothy Ciciora
45. “The world is a navy in an empty ocean.” — Dejan Stojanovic
46. “You should be concerned when a corrupt government has control of nuclear weapons, nuclear power generation facilities and a nuclear-powered navy.” ― Steven Magee
47. “I’m a huge fan of the Navy. My father was a Naval historian, and I’ve been studying Naval battles forever.” – Peter Berg
48. “I’m blessed to be in a command position in a Navy this good.” – Michael Mullen
49. “Events of October 1962 indicated, as they had all through history, that control of the sea means security. Control of the seas can mean peace. Control of the seas can mean victory. The United States must control the seas if it is to protect your security…” — John F. Kennedy
50. “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.’” — John F. Kennedy
More navy quotes and sayings
According to a report by the U.S. Navy, 70% of sailors believe that their colleagues are committed to their work and take pride in their job.
This statistic highlights the importance of a positive organizational culture and the impact it can have on individual motivation and team performance.
51. “I’m glad I was in the Navy.” – Yogi Berra
52. “It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it is not fought on U.S. soil.” – Chester W. Nimitz
53. “The Navy speaks in symbols and you may suit what meaning you choose to the words.” – Patrick O’Brian
54. “I was in World War II; I cried when they took me in the Navy. That’s the last time I cried.” – Don Rickles
55. “Through our last night ashore, drink to the foam.” — Joyce Eilers & Bob Lowden
56. “My grandfather was a commander in the Navy. He was very proud of his service, and he lived his entire life as though he was still serving.” – Dean Cain
57. “I know from my experience as a Navy SEAL that barriers work.” – Dan Crenshaw
58. “We all know the Navy is never wrong, but in this case it was a little weak on being right.”
– Wendell Mayes
59. “The United States Navy is the envy of every other navy in the world. They don’t want to be like us–they want to be us.” – Leighton Smith
60. “The Navy is much more than a job; much more than service to country. It is a way of life. It gets in your blood.” – Albert F. Pratt
Navy quotes and sayings about excelling
According to a report by the U.S. Navy, 83% of sailors report feeling satisfied with their leadership and the opportunities for personal and professional growth provided by the Navy.
This statistic demonstrates the positive impact of strong leadership and support systems in the Navy.
61. “A captain of the Navy ought to be a man of strong and well-connected sense, with a tolerable good education, a gentleman, as well as a seaman both in theory and practice.” – John Paul Jones
62. “We were rugged individualists in the Navy, but we all had health care.” – Joe Sestak
63. “For much of my life, the Navy was the only world I knew. It is still the world I know best and love most.” – John McCain
64. “Whatever may be my feelings of personal gratitude to the Navy of the United States, I feel myself under still greater obligations to them for the honor they have done to the American name in every part of the globe.” – Marquis de Lafayette
65. “Being a Navy SEAL and sniper taught me all about risk management. Take away all the risk variables under your control and reduce it to an acceptable level. The same fundamentals apply in business.” – Brandon Webb
66. “My father volunteered in early 1941, before Pearl Harbor, and became an officer in the U.S. Navy. As I was growing up, he taught me the responsibility of command: A leader is ultimately responsible for every aspect of the welfare of people under his or her care. That was a deeply felt obligation in his generation.” – Chelsey Sullenberger
67. “All of our men and women in uniform, including our brave sailors in the U.S. Navy, deserve to have the best tools needed to carry out their mission to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.” – Lauren Boebert
68. “If I were to listen to people all the time when they say, ‘Hey, this is a really high challenge, this is a high climb, the bar is pretty steep,’ then I wouldn’t have gone to the academy. I wouldn’t have become an aircraft carrier pilot. I wouldn’t have become a Navy SEAL for sure. And I probably wouldn’t have applied to Harvard.” – Gabriel E. Gomez
69. “As a Navy SEAL, and sniper, one of the things I learned was that excellence matters.” – Brandon Webb
70. “I wanted to be a veterinarian and go to school in Boston. It didn’t quite work out that way, and I ended up joining the Navy as a suggestion of my big brother. It was really awesome – and I didn’t realize it at the time, -but provided a lot of leadership and followership teamwork opportunities.” – Sunita Williams
Navy quotes and sayings about safety and protection
A study published in the Journal of Business Research found that effective teamwork is a critical component of organizational success, with effective teams demonstrating higher levels of innovation and creativity.
This statistic emphasizes the importance of teamwork in the Navy and how it can lead to better outcomes and increased success.
71. “For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace. Naval officers must therefore understand not only how to fight a war, but how to use the tremendous power which they operate to sustain a world of liberty and justice, without unleashing the powerful instruments of destruction and chaos that they have at their command.” – Admiral Arleigh Burke
72. “I’ve been to a number of places and seen for myself the caliber of people who are in the Navy today – in all the services for that matter. This is an altogether different bunch. These people of today are really bright, young, good people.” – Ernest Borgnine
73. “To compel the nation with challenge the traditional American doctrine of freedom of the seas, every man and every ship in the navy is solemnly pledged.” – Josephus Daniels
74. “Obviously I was challenged by becoming a Naval aviator, by landing aboard aircraft carriers and so on.” – Alan Shepard
75. “The US Navy has several people on every ship that can navigate by the stars. They don’t fool with that.” – BIll Nye
76. “Hearts of oak are our ships, Gallant tars are our men.” – David Garrick
77. “The Navy is very old and very wise.” – Rudyard Kipling
78. “There’s this misconception that the Navy is this cruise ship, and you get to go out and sail around, and every now and then, you have to swab the deck. But, no, it is a very impressive group of young people that live at sea, in this place that’s very uncomfortable. They exude a pride that is well-deserved.” – Tom Hanks
79. “If you’ve never met a navy seal and you ran into one at a bar, you probably still wouldn’t know he’s a navy seal.” – Howard E. Wasdin
80. “Where’er thy navy spreads her canvas wings, homage to thee, and peace to all, she brings.” – Edmund Waller
Navy Quotes And Sayings To Celebrate Their Dedication
According to a survey conducted by Pew Research Center in 2020, the Navy is the most positively viewed branch of the U.S. military, with 84% of Americans having a favorable opinion.
This statistic can add credibility to the importance of Navy quotes and sayings in celebrating the dedication of Navy personnel.
81. “The heart and soul of a Navy SEAL is somebody who’s committed to their country and committed to their teammates.” ― Howard E. Wasdin
82. “The contention that a standing army and navy is the best security of peace is about as logical as the claim that the most peaceful citizen is he who goes about heavily armed.” ― Emma Goldman
83. “If it takes the entire army and navy to deliver a postcard in Chicago, that card will be delivered.” ― Grover Cleveland
84. “Before the BBC, I joined the Navy in order to travel.” ― David Attenborough
85. “I went to military college in Canada and graduated as an officer in the Navy but also as an engineer.” ― Marc Garneau
86. “I always wanted to go into the military or something like that – my whole family, all my friends are either Air Force, Navy, or Marines.” ― RJ Mitte
87. “I enlisted when I was a boy. The Navy looked after me like my mother. It fed me, took care of me and gave me wonderful opportunities.” ― Tony Curtis
88. “In armies, navies, cities, or families, in nature herself, nothing more relaxes good order than misery.” ― Herman Melville
89. “I joined the Navy hoping to be a submariner and ended up in the sub service aboard a tender in the Pacific.” ― Tony Curtis
90. “I have the complete support of the military. I personally served in the navy.” ― Juan Manuel Santos
Navy Quotes And Sayings That Highlight Their Prowess
The Navy has the highest percentage of women serving among all branches of the U.S. military, at 22% in 2020.
This statistic, reported by the Department of Defense, highlights the increasing diversity and inclusivity of the Navy and underscores the value of quotes and sayings that honor the contributions of women in the Navy.
91. “The purpose of the Navy is not to fight.” — Vice Admiral John Bird
92. “Navy Seals says when you are under pressure, you don’t rise to the occasion. You sink to the level of your training. Train well.” — Jon Gordon
93. “The navy is like a socialist country. Efficiency isn’t part of the jargon.” — James W. Blinn
94. “A brave captain is as a root, out of which, as branches, the courage of his soldiers doth spring.” — Philip Sidney
95. “In the Navy, the path is paved for you. Your job is to be a soldier and fit in. As long as you stick to your place, it’s actually really easy.” — Kiesza
96. “ The function and Navy in any future war will be to support the dominant air arm.” — Jimmy Doolittle
97. The only kind of movement you could make in the Navy was to be a platoon leader or one of those kinds of things as you got more senior in your Navy career.” — Daniel J. Evans
98. “The U.S. Navy is best known for developing and building the world’s largest modern fleet of amphibious ships.” — Norman Polmar
99. “The United States Navy carries the might and the mission of America to the farthest parts of the world.” — George W. Bush
100.“There is no such thing as a naval dictatorship.” — George Orwell
Navy Quotes and Sayings To Make You Feel Safe
According to the U.S. Navy’s official website, the Navy has over 330,000 active duty personnel and more than 100,000 reserve personnel.
This number reflects the vastness and impact of the Navy, and emphasizes the need to acknowledge the dedication and sacrifice of Navy personnel through quotes and sayings.
101. “There are no extraordinary men… just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.” ― William Halsey
102. “There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.” ― Joseph Conrad
103. “Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
104. “We few. We happy few. We band of brothers, for he today That sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother.” ― William Shakespeare
105. “In the Navy, there is no wrong hole. In the Marines, there is always a hole.” ― George Carlin
106. “In our town, the most popular way out was joining the service. So my three best friends joined the Navy to get out. I didn’t.” ― Jon Bon Jovi
107. “We had not had time to establish ourselves as a double act before Ernie joined the Merchant Navy. I teamed up with the brother of the late Dave Morris.” ― Eric Morecambe
108. “I left home at 14 and I have friends who joined the navy and the army performing troops at 9. I know people [like that]. It’s a very straightforward character.” ― Amanda Schull
109. “I wanted to join the navy to get some perspective on the world and explore.” ― James McAvoy
110. “The trouble with the military rule is that every colonel or general is soon full of ambition. The navy takes over today and the army tomorrow.” ― Yakubu Gowon
Thought Provoking Navy Quotes
111. “Neither the Army nor the Navy is of any protection, or very little protection, against aerial raids.” ― Alexander Graham Bel
112. “The Navy credits me with more kills as a sniper than any other American service member, past or present.” ― Chris Kyle
113. “The Navy has changed a great deal. Not that the officers of my day were bad, because I served under a lot of good officers, believe me. But there were a few bad ones, too.” ― Ernest Borgnine
114. “The Navy will need congressional and administration leadership in finding creative solutions for the submarine program, or the current course will continue.” ― Dan Blumenthal
115. “Lower than a Navy seal show up with them navy guns.” ― Lil Wayne
116. “We joined the navy to see the world and what did we see? We saw the sea. We saw the Pacific and the Atlantic but the atlantic isn’t romantic.” ― Fred Astaire
117. “I was a mechanic in the Navy. And mechanics in the Navy are like mechanics in airlines. You may have more stripes than I do, but you don’t know how to fix the airplane.” ― Gordon Bethune
118. “The Navy, from early on, knew this was important. They could have dumped it in the ocean. We don’t know who decided this, but someone said let’s keep it and preserve it.” ― Daniel Martinez
119. “Nobody wants to see the ship go anywhere. The Navy likes it here, and I believe the city does as well.” ― Richard Conti
120. “Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky. We’ll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y. Roll up the score, navy, anchors aweigh.” ― Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Navy Quotes and Sayings to Honor the Brave
121. “The navy is a proud and honorable tradition, and those who serve in it are among the bravest and most dedicated people in the world.” ― Admiral James L. Holloway III
122. “The navy is a powerful weapon, and it must be wielded with precision and skill.” ― Admiral Frank Kelso
123. “The navy is a force of strength and security, defending our nation’s interests and protecting our freedom.” ― Admiral Michael G. Mullen
124. “The navy is a true brotherhood, and the bonds that are formed last a lifetime.” ― Admiral William H. McRaven
125. “The navy is a unique and special organization, built on the foundation of honor, courage and commitment.” ― Admiral Vern Clark
126. “The navy is a force for peace and stability in the world.” ― Admiral Mike Mullen
127. “The navy is a living, breathing institution that must adapt to changing times.” ― Admiral James G. Stavridis
128. “The navy is a master in the art of deception.” ― Admiral Chester W. Nimitz
129. “The navy is a master of strategy and tactics; the politicians are not.” ― Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
130. “A navy is not just a bunch of ships, it’s an attitude.” ― Admiral Arleigh Burke
What did you learn from these Navy quotes?
While great teamwork and leadership are important in all aspects of society, it is especially crucial to have excellent teamwork and leadership in the military.
Sailors in the Navy must have a special sense of comradery and trust because they have to rely on each other for survival.
Often, during their missions, lives are at stake, and so a strong sense of teamwork and leadership must be in place.
There is so much we can learn from those in the military and so much to be grateful for.
We honor all military veterans whether they be sailors, soldiers, marines, or airmen, and thank them for the service they have provided to our country and people.
Did you enjoy these Navy quotes and sayings?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below.