These death quotes can provide you with solace in your time of grieving.
If you know someone after the recent loss of a loved one, share these insightful quotes about death to help them in their time of suffering.
In the comment section below, let us know which quote about death resonated with you the most.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A survey conducted by Legacy.com found that over 75% of respondents reported feeling better after receiving a condolence message or gesture.
By sending a death quote to a friend who is grieving, you can help them feel less alone and more supported during this difficult time.
What are the benefits of reading these death quotes?
Death is one of the most difficult things we have to deal with.
It is personal, unique, and very different from person to person.
These quotes about death will:
- Remind you that you are not alone in your sadness
- Offer you words that might comfort someone you know who is going through a loss
- Expand your thoughts and perceptions about death
Often, people will judge how someone else grieves because it is not the same as how they would mourn.
Some folks even assume that someone is not anguished (by their definition) because they do not show it in a way that fits into this individual’s view of what grief should look like.
Here are some thoughts and quotes about death and the unique view we each take.
Also, check out these grief quotes on celebrating the life of someone who passed away.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Inspirational Death Quotes About Mourning
A study published in the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology found that receiving social support from others is associated with a reduced risk of developing complicated grief.
By sending a death quote to a friend who is grieving, you can help them cope with their loss and avoid potential mental health complications.
1. “Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion to death.”- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
You will also enjoy our article on sad anime quotes.
2. “When he died, all things soft and beautiful and bright would be buried with him.” ― Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles
You will also enjoy our article on led zeppelin quotes.
3. “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” — Albert Pike
You will also enjoy our article on dia de los muertos quotes.
4. “If I can see pain in your eyes, then share with me your tears. If I can see joy in your eyes, then share with me your smile.” – Santosh Kalwar
You will also enjoy our article on life changing quotes.
5. “Honest listening is one of the best medicines we can offer the dying and the bereaved.” – Jean Cameron (dying of cancer)
You will also enjoy our article on loss of a father quotes.
6. “And we wept that one so lovely should have a life so brief.” – William Cullen Bryant
You will also enjoy our article on pet quotes.
7. “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
You will also enjoy our article on Amy Winehouse quotes.
8. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” —James O’Barr
You will also enjoy our article on Viktor Frankl quotes.
9. “The death of a beloved is an amputation.” — C. S. Lewis
You will also enjoy our article on pet loss quotes.
10. “Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
Also, check out suicide quotes that inspire prevention.
Beautiful Yet Profound Sayings and Quotes about Death
According to a survey conducted by the American Psychological Association, social support is one of the most effective ways to cope with the death of a loved one.
By sending a death quote to a grieving friend, you can offer them a source of emotional support during this challenging time.
11. “Until death it is all life.”― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
You will also enjoy our article on Ghostbusters quotes.
12. “Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live.” – Henry van Dyke
You will also enjoy our article on Stoic quotes.
13. “It is as natural to die as it is to be born.” – Francis Bacon
You will also enjoy our article on sleep quotes.
14. “All men think that all men are mortal but themselves.” – Edward Young
You will also enjoy our article on fighting cancer quotes.
15. “Believe me, when you die, it’s everybody else’s but your problem.”― Cecelia Ahern
You will also enjoy our article on leo quotes.
16. “If life must not be taken too seriously, then so neither must death”—Samuel Butler
17. “I know, too, that death is the only god who comes when you call.”― Roger Zelazny, Frost & Fire
18. “Our lives can’t be measured by our final years, of this I am sure.”― Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
19. “They never fail who die in a great cause.”― George Gordon Byron
20. “Death must exist for life to have meaning.”― Neal Shusterman
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of funeral quotes about this important ritual.
Helpful Quotes About Death of A Loved One
According to a survey by the Pew Research Center, 66% of Americans believe in life after death, with 48% believing in heaven and 29% believing in reincarnation.
This statistic underscores the diversity of beliefs and attitudes towards death and the afterlife, which can provide comfort to those who are grieving.
21. “Death is nature’s way of saying, ‘Your table is ready.’”— Robin Williams
22. “Those we love never truly leave us, Harry. There are things that death cannot touch.” ― Jack Thorne
23. “But fate ordains that dearest friends must part.” – Edward Young
24. “This passion, and the death of a dear friend, would go near to make a man look sad.” – William Shakespeare
25. “Death walks faster than the wind and never returns what he has taken.”― Hans Christian Andersen
You might also like these pain quotes will help you channel your warrior within.
26. “To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
27. “Everything that happens before death is what counts.”― Ray Bradbury
28. “I would rather die a meaningful death than to live a meaningless life.” – Corazon Aquino
29. “I am not afraid of death, I just don’t want to be there when it happens.” – Woody Allen
30. “For some moments in life there are no words.”- David Seltzer, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971 film adaptation)
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Willy Wonka quotes to awaken your imagination.
More Uplifting Death Quotes
A study by the University of California, Berkeley, found that people who are able to find meaning in their loss experience lower levels of depression and greater post-traumatic growth.
This study suggests that finding a sense of purpose or meaning in the grieving process can lead to positive outcomes and help individuals cope with their loss.
31. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” – Norman Cousins
32. “Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”- Fred Rogers
33. “She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts.” – George Eliot
34. “Grit your teeth and let it hurt. Don’t deny it, don’t be overwhelmed by it. It will not last forever. One day, the pain will be gone and you will still be there.” – Harold Kushner, When All You’ve Ever Wanted Isn’t Enough
35. “But she wasn’t around, and that’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going into every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.” ― Mitch Albom, For One More Day
36. “Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.” – Leo Tolstoy
Don’t forget to also read these tombstone quotes for living a good life.
Comforting quotes about death
According to a survey by the National Institute of Mental Health, prolonged grief disorder affects approximately 10% of bereaved individuals, and can result in symptoms such as intense sadness, difficulty accepting the death, and a sense of purposelessness.
This statistic highlights the importance of seeking professional help for those who are struggling with grief, and emphasizes the need for accessible mental health services for those who are grieving.
36. “Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?”—Epicurus
37. “Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” – Henry James
38. “Death can come at any age, but the pride of life fools a person into thinking that day is far away.” – John Buttrick
39. “None of us knows the day of our death. However, if we knew that death is actually our acquisition, we would remove the fear of death from our lives.” – Sunday Adelaja
40. “It is the secret of the world that all things subsist and do not die, but retire a little from sight and afterward return again.”—Ralph Waldo Emerson
41. “Death is but a door, time is but a window. I’ll be back!”—Ghostbusters II
42. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.”― Jonathan Harnisch, Freak
43. “Men fear death, as if unquestionably the greatest evil, and yet no man knows that it may not be the greatest good.” – William Mitford
44. “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”— Mark Twain
45. “The truth I have been seeking — this truth is Death. Yet Death is also a seeker. Forever seeking me. So — we have met at last. And I am prepared. I am at peace.”— Bruce Lee
You might also like these rest in peace quotes to help you grieve.
Quotes about death of a friend
According to a study published in the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, individuals who engage in activities that help them cope with grief, such as reading quotes or writing about their feelings, experience reduced symptoms of depression and anxiety.
This study suggests that engaging in activities that help process grief can be beneficial for overall mental health.
46. “We go to the grave of a friend saying, “A man is dead,” but angels throng about him saying, “A man is born.” – Henry Ward Beecher
47. “The death of a friend is equivalent to the loss of a limb.” – German Proverb
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about losing a loved one to help you express the feelings behind loss.
48. “For as long as the world spins and the earth is green with new wood, she will lie in this box and not in my arms. “— Lurlene McDaniel
49. “When a friend of Abigail and John Adams was killed at Bunker Hill, Abigail’s response was to write a letter to her husband and include these words, ‘My bursting heart must find vent at my pen.’” – David McCullough
50. “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.“ – Kahlil Gibran
51. “Even the best of friends cannot attend each other’s funeral.” – Kehlog Albran
52. “You cannot stop loving your friend because he’s dead, especially if he was better than anyone alive, you know?” – Jerome Salinger
53. “When our friends are alive, we see the good qualities they lack; dead, we remember only those they possessed.” – Jean Antoine Petit-Senn
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of after life quotes that will make you smile, think, and feel deeply.
Inspirational quotes about death
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that in 2019, there were 2,854,838 deaths in the United States alone.
While death is a natural part of life, it can still be a difficult and emotional experience for those who are left behind.
54. “If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words they’re gone. They’ll come back.” ― Prince
55. “How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?”—Carson McCullers
56. “Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.” – Leo Buscaglia
57. “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”— Chuck Palahniuk
58. “I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.”— Winston Churchill
59. “Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.”— Nelson Mandela
60. “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.”— Steve Jobs
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these devil quotes that will help you triumph against evil.
Quotes about death to bring you calm
A survey conducted by the National Funeral Directors Association found that the majority of people prefer personalized funerals that reflect the unique personality and interests of their loved one.
This data highlights the importance of honoring the life of the deceased in a meaningful way.
61. “No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they’d die for.” – Martin Luther King Jr
62. “I’m not afraid of death because I don’t believe in it. It’s just getting out of one car, and into another.” – John Lennon
63. “A fact of life we all die. But the positive impact you have on others will be a living legacy.” – Catherine Pulsifer
64. “I want to be thoroughly used up when I die for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake.” – George Bernard Shaw
65. “No one here gets out alive.” – Jim Morrison
66. “Death is an ending. Death is a closing. Death is idle words in the ebb and flow of life.”- Elizabeth Edwards
67. “When your fear touches someone’s pain, it becomes pity. When your love touches someone’s pain, it becomes compassion.” – Stephen Levine
68. “Dead people can be our heroes because they can’t disappoint us later; they only improve over time, as we forget more and more about them.”― Veronica Roth
69. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into other loveliness.” – Thomas Bailey
70. “You give yourself permission to grieve by recognizing the need for grieving. Grieving is the natural way of working through the loss of a love.” – Doug Manning
Death quotes to calm you
71. “While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.” – Leonardo da Vinci
72. “Death is not the end of life; it is the beginning of an eternal journey.” – Debasish Mridha
73. “Not only is death inevitable; death is necessary for us to inherit the new life we are to enjoy in Christ.” – Max Lucado
74. “Death is nothing else but going home to God, the bond of love will be unbroken for all eternity.” – Mother Teresa
75. “To die will be an awfully big adventure.” – Peter Pan
76. “Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you”—Welcome to Night Vale
77. “The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and the other begins?”—Edgar Allan Poe
78. “Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
79. “Life is for the living. Death is for the dead. Let life be like music. And death a note unsaid.” – Langston Hughes
80. “Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names.” – Proverb
Profound death quotes for loved ones
81. “The idea is to die young as late as possible.” – Ashley Montagu
82. “Life is like a very short visit to a toy shop between birth and death.” – Desmond Morris
83. “It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live.” – Victor Hugo
84. “The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.” – Seneca
85. “As soon as you’ll realize that it was a gift, you’ll be free.” – Maxime Lagacé
86. “Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive – the risk to be alive and express what we really are.” – Miguel Angel Ruiz
87. “There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.” – Syrio Forel
89. “After your death, you will be what you were before your birth.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
90. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Mitch Albom
Quotes about death to make you strong
91. “Life is too short when you think of the length of death.”― Sean Mangan
92. “Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep, And yet a third of life is passed in sleep.”― Lord George Gordon Byron
93. “We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love in one day. Anything can happen in just one day.”― Gayle Forman
94. “The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our separate ways, I to die, and you to live. Which of these two is better only God knows.”― Socrates
95. “She had been given a wonderful gift: life. Sometimes it was cruelly taken away too soon, but it’s what you did with it that counted, not how long it lasted.”― Cecelia Ahern
96. “You were born a child of light’s wonderful secret— you return to the beauty you have always been.”― Aberjhani
97. “It never gets easier, missing you. And sometimes I wonder if it ever will.”― Heather Brewer
98. “The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.”― Robert Galbraith
99. “Last words are always harder to remember when no one knows that someone’s about to die.”― John Green
100. “Death is unstoppable. One must face it as a fact of life.”― D. Aswini
101. “Everybody know death is inevitably coming , but it never fails to catch everybody by surprise everytime one is going.”― Hlovate
102. “It’s not contagious, you know. Death is as natural as life. It’s part of the deal we made.”― Mitch Albom
103. “It’s all God’s will: you can die in your sleep, and God can spare you in battle.”― Leo Tolstoy
104. “Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.”― Epicurus
105. “When the time comes to die, make sure that all you have to do is die!”― Jim Elliot
Death quotes that will change the way you think about it
106. “I don’t think kids have a problem with death. It’s us older ones who are nearer to it, that start being frightened.” – Helena Bonham Carter
107. “One day we were born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second.”― Samuel Beckett
108 “I’ll sleep when I’m dead.” — Warren Zevon
109. “I think about death sometimes. Analytically, of course.”― Lynne Truss
110. “Dealing with death is there forever, really, you know, because we all have to face it.” – Pierce Brosnan
111. “Life is short, death is forever.”― Marsha Qualey
112. “Less base the fear of death than fear of life.” – Edward Young
113. “I am not afraid of death, which after all can’t be far away. What does frighten me, though, is the halfway stage.”― Rosie Thomas
114. “We have a limit, a very discouraging, humiliating limit: death.” – Umberto Eco
115. “[death]…the abyss from where no traveler is permitted to return.”― George Washington
More quotes about death and coping
116. “Part of the bargain of being alive is that one takes a chance at dying a premature or painful death, be it from violence, accident, or disease.” – Steven Pinker
117. “Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.” — William Shakespeare
118. “Death has always had a prominent place in my mind. There are times when I think somebody might kill me.” – Dennis Rodman (see more Dennis Rodman quotes)
119. “Death is only a small interruption.”― Anita Brookner
120. “Life is the desert, life the solitude, death joins us to the great majority.” – Edward Young
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of solitude quotes to bring you peace.
121. “We are all created by desire and we all die because of desire.”― Santosh Kalwar
122. “Death is the mother of Beauty; hence from her, alone, shall come fulfillment to our dreams and our desires.” – Wallace Stevens
123. “The dead and not-yet dead, we are company altogether.”― Rosie Thomas
124. “Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one.” – Vladimir Nabokov
125. “Would that death were like this. Would that one would sleep and sleep and sleep forever.”― Anne Rice
Eye-opening death quotes
126. “Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.” – George Eliot
127. “Death helps us to see what is worth trusting and loving and what is a waste of time.” – J. Neville Ward
128. “Death is just nature’s way of telling you to slow down.” – Dick Sharples
129. “The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live.” – Dr. Joan Borysenko
130. “It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.” – Samuel Johnson
131. “Every man dies – Not every man really lives.” – William Ross Wallace
132. “Many people die at twenty five and aren’t buried until they are seventy five.” – Benjamin Franklin
133. “Forgive yourself before you die. Then forgive others.”– Morrie Schwartz
134. “All that live must die, passing through nature to eternity.” – William Shakespeare
135. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”– Mark Twain
Death quotes to bring you calm
136. “Finally there is nothing here for death to take away.”― Charles Bukowski
137. “No more let life divide what death can join together.”― Percy Bysshe Shelley
138. “Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”― John Donne
139. “There are always two deaths, the real one and the one people know about.”― Jean Rhys
140. “Things change after you die, though, I guess because dying is the loneliest thing you can do.”― Lauren Oliver
141. “Once you are born in this world you’re old enough to die.”― Soren Kierkegaard
142. “There is one who remembers the way to your door: Life you may evade, but Death you shall not.”― T.S. Eliot
143. “The only certainty life contains is death.”― Patricia Briggs
144. “What will survive of us is love.” ― Philip Larkin
145. “We took such care of tomorrow, but died on the way there.”― Warsan Shire
Death quotes to calm you down
146. “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” ― J.K. Rowling
147. “That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet.” ― Emily Dickinson
148. “You mustn’t be afraid of death. You’re a deathless soul you can’t be kept in a dark grave you’re filled with God’s glow.” – Rumi
149. “Our life is made by the death of others.”― Leonardo da Vinci
150. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost
151. “It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it’s called Life.” ― Terry Pratchett
152. “I’ve told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. For me, death is a graduation.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of graduation quotes about the power of going to the next chapter of life and learning.
153. “Death is not extinguishing the light. It is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” – Rabindranath Tagore
154. “Death smiles at us all; all we can do is smile back.”― Marcus Aurelius
155. “Lives are like rivers: Eventually they go where they must. Not where we want them to.” – Richard Russo
Death quotes that will change your mind
156. “Thinking and talking about death need not be morbid; they may be quite the opposite. Ignorance and fear of death overshadow life, while knowing and accepting death erases this shadow.” – Lily Pincus
157. “Even death, faced with the option of death or life, she would choose life.”― José Saramago
158. “I think of death as some delightful journey that I shall take when all my tasks are done.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
159. “Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.” – Arthur Miller
160. “The actuality of death and the experience of grief sinks in at different times for everyone.” – Valerie Orr
161. “Do not fear death so much but rather the inadequate life.” – Bertolt Brech
162. “Death is part of who we are. It guides
us. It shapes us. It drives us to madness. Can you still be human if you have no mortal end.”― Christopher Paolini
163. “Death never takes the wise man by surprise, he is always ready to go.” – Jean de La Fontaine
164. “Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
165. “Death is like a mirror in which the true meaning of life is reflected.” – Sogyal Rinpoche
Death quotes to take away your fears
166. “Of all the gods only death does not desire gifts.” – Aeschylus
167. “What happens after you die? Lots of things happen after you die – they just don’t involve you.” – Louis C. K.
168. “In the long run we are all dead.” – John Maynard Keynes
169. “Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.” – Epicurus
170. “Death is always around the corner, but often our society gives it inordinate help.” – Carter Burwell
171. “From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch
172. “Dying is easy; it’s living that’s difficult.” – Frederick Lenz
173. “Death happens but once, yet we feel it every moment of our lives; it is worse to dread it than to suffer it.” – Jean de la Bruyere
174. “Birth and death; we all move between these two unknowns.” – Bryant H. McGill
175. “Death belongs to God alone; by what right do men touch that unknown thing?” – Victor Hugo
Thought-provoking death quotes
176. “You do not understand even life. How can you understand death?” –
177. “Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there’s a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see.” – Helen Keller
178. “You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.” – Ian Fleming
179. “When someone you love dies, you don’t lose them all at once. You lose them in pieces over time, like how the mail stops coming.” – Jim Carrey
180. “They that love beyond the world
cannot be separated by it.
Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
181. “A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
182. “We who think we are about to die will laugh at anything.” – Terry Pratchett
183. “Man always dies before he is fully born.” – Erich Fromm
184. “Death is the dropping of the flower, that the fruit may swell.” – Henry Ward Beecher
185. “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there.” – Steve Jobs
Death quotes that can change your life
186. “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”― Mark Twain
187. “Even in the grave, all is not lost.”― Edgar Allan Poe
188. “People leave strange little memories of themselves behind when they die.”― Haruki Murakami
189. “Sometimes dead is better”― Stephen King
190. “Enjoy life. There’s plenty of time to be dead.”― Hans Christian Andersen
191. “To escape death, she’d become death.”― Sarah J. Maas
192. “He is terribly afraid of dying because he hasn’t yet lived.”― Franz Kafka
193. “In the midst of life, we are in death.”― Agatha Christie
194. “Death should take me while I am in the mood.”― Nathaniel Hawthorne
195. “Each time we don’t say what we wanna say, we’re dying.”― Yoko Ono
Death quotes that will make you rethink your life
196. “No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away…”― Terry Pratchett
197. “Dying is easy, it’s living that scares me to death.” — Annie Lennox
198. “Death is a stripping away of all that is not you. The secret of life is to “die before you die” — and find that there is no death.”― Eckhart Tolle
199. “No matter how we choose to live, we both die at the end.” – Adam Silvera, They Both Die at the End
200. “The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.” — Marcus Tullius Cicero
201. “How could the death of someone you had never met affect you so?”― Robert Galbraith
202. “I’ve got death inside me. It’s just a question of whether or not I can outlive it.”― Don DeLillo, White Noise
203. “Death is unstoppable. One must face it as a fact of life.”― D. Aswini
204. “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”― Horace Mann
205. “We die only once, and for such a long time.” — Moliere
Death quotes that will make you think
206. “Of all the ways to lose a person, death is the kindest.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson
207. “I’m the one that’s got to die when it’s time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.” – Jimi Hendrix
208. “A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.” – Oscar Wilde
209. “I don’t want to die without any scars.” – Chuck Palahniuk
210. “Unbeing dead isn’t being alive.” – E. E. Cummings
211. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius
212. “When people don’t express themselves, they die one piece at a time.” – Laurie Halse Anderson
213. “I intend to live forever, or die trying.” — Groucho Marx
214. “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” – J.K. Rowling
215. “If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character. Would you slow down? Or speed up?” – Chuck Palahniuk
Comforting death quotes for when your pet dies
216. “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
217. “A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered.” – Lacie Petitto
218. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Ted Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
219. “Every story is a story about death. But perhaps, if we are lucky, our story about death is also a story about love.”― Helen Humphreys
220. “Death is my lover and he wants to move in.”― Sarah Kane
221. “Gradually…and with time…letting go of the pain
of our loss, bit by bit, never means
letting go of our love.” – Barbara Schulte
222. “The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?” – Angus Sligh
223. “I guess you don’t really own a dog, you rent them, and you have to be thankful that you had a long lease.” – Joe Garagiola
224. “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” –Pierre Auguste Renoir
225. “Don’t forget, somewhere between and hello and goodbye, there was love. So much love.” – Anonymous
226. “It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” – John Grogan
More death quotes and sayings
227. “They say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.”— Banksy
228. “Since we’re all going to die, it’s obvious that when and how don’t matter.”— Albert Camus
229. “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.”— Harriet Beecher-Stowe
230. “Death, the only immortal who treats us all alike, whose pity and whose peace and whose refuge are for all — the soiled and the pure, the rich and the poor, the loved and the unloved.”— Mark Twain
231. “I want to go on living after my death! And that’s why I’m so grateful to God for having given me this gift, which I can use to develop myself and to express all that’s inside me!”— Anne Frank
232. “A friend who dies, it’s something of you who dies.” – Gustave Flaubert
233. “I feel monotony and death to be almost the same.”— Charlotte Brontë
234. “Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased by tales, so is the other.” — Francis Bacon
235. “If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.”— Stephen King
236. “You’ll have time to rest when you’re dead.” — Robert De Niro
Thought-provoking death quotes about grief and death
237. “Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with” – Mark Twain
238. “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.” – C.S. Lewis
239. “The only cure for grief is action.” – George Henry Lewes
240. “No one feels another’s grief, no one understands another’s joy. People imagine they can reach one another. In reality they only pass each other by.” – Franz Schubert
241. “Dead. Never been that before. Not even once.”― Jasper Fforde
242. “Where grief is fresh, any attempt to divert it only irritates.” – Samuel Johnson
243. “People in grief need someone to walk with them without judging them.” – Gail Sheeny
244. “One often calms one’s grief by recounting it.” – Pierre Corneille
245. “With grief, you know, the only way to get through it is through it.” – Dana Reeve
246. “Grief is characterized much more by waves of feeling that lessen and reoccur, it’s less like stages and more like different states of feeling.” – Meghan O’Rourke
247. “Grief, no matter how you try to cater to its wail, has a way of fading away.” – V.C. Andrews
Death quotes to contemplate on
248. “Weeping is not the same thing as crying. It takes your whole body to weep, and when it’s over, you feel like you don’t have any bones left to hold you up.”― Sarah Ockler
249. “Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one’s head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.” ― Sylvia Plath
250. “I want words at my funeral. But I guess that means you need life in your life.” ― Markus Zusak
251. “Delaying death is one of my favorite hobbies.” ― Rick Riordan
252. “Because there is no glory in illness. There is no meaning to it. There is no honor in dying of.” ― John Green
253. “I carry death in my left pocket. Sometimes I take it out and talk to it: “Hello, baby, how you doing? When you coming for me? I’ll be ready.” ― Charles Bukowski
254. “It’s better to die laughing than to live each moment in fear.” ― Michael Crichton
255. “In the end, it wasn’t death that surprised her but the stubbornness of life.” ― Jeffrey Eugenides
256. “Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” ― Terry Pratchett
257. “What is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying.” ― Albert Camus
258. Grieving is not weakness nor absence of faith. Grieving is as natural as crying when you are hurt, sleeping when you are tired or sneezing when your nose itches. It is nature’s way of healing a broken heart.” – Doug Manning
259. “Death takes no bribes.” – Benjamin Franklin
260. “Death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.” – Julius Caesar
Death anniversary quotes
261. “The life of the dead is placed in the heart of the living.” – Cicero
262. “In your life you touched so many, in your death many lives were changed.” – Melinda Jones
263. “To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die.” – Hazel Gaynor
264. “Loss can remind us that life itself is a gift.” – Louise Hay
265. “They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
266. “When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
267. “Death is never an end, but a To Be Continued…” – Renée Chae
268. “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.” – Helen Keller
269. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” – Terri Guillemets
270. “Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it.” — Haruki Murakami
Death Quotes That Will Remind You of Mysterious Deaths
271. “Choose to see death as simply removing a garment or moving from one room to another… it’s merely a transition.” — Wayne Dyer
272. “Death is the ultimate boundary of human matters.” — Horace
273. “Those only can thoroughly feel the meaning of death who know what is perfect love.” — George Eliot
274. “A warrior thinks of death when things become unclear. The idea of death is the only thing that tempers our spirit.” — Carlos Castaneda
275. “Death happens but once, yet we feel it every moment of our lives; it is worse to dread it than to suffer it.” — Jean de la Bruyere
276. “I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning.” — Benjamin Franklin
277. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” — William Penn
278. “Life levels all men. Death reveals the eminent.” — George Bernard Shaw
279. “Wherever I look there is nothing but the image of death.” — Ovid
280. “There are remedies for all things but death.” — Thomas Carlyle
Death Quotes To Make You Realize That Its Part of Human Life
281. “It seems to be remarkable that death increases our veneration for the good, and extenuates our hatred for the bad.” — Samuel Johnson
282. “Death, is not an end, but a transition crisis. All the forms of decay are but masks of regeneration–the secret alembics of vitality.” — Edwin Hubbel Chapin
283. “Most people struggle with letting go of someone who left his or her life. This could be from death or simply other circumstances.” — Kellie Sullivan
284. “We look at death through the cheap-glazed windows of the flesh, and believe him the monster which the flawed and cracked glass represents him.” — James Russell Lowell
285. “To have to die is a distinction of which no man is proud.” — Alexander Smith
286. “Death is so genuine a fact that it excludes falsehoods, or betrays its emptiness; it is a touchstone that proves the gold, and dishonors the baser metal.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne
287. “Tis the only discipline we are born for; all studies else are but as circular lines, and death the center where they all must meet.” — Philip Massinger
288. “Setting is preliminary to brighter rising; decay is a process of advancement; death is the condition of higher and more fruitful life.” — Edwin Hubbel Chapin
289. “For days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow, but phone calls taper off.” — Johnny Carson
290. “Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there; I did not die.” — Mary Elizabeth Frye
Death Quotes To Make You Live Without Fearing It
291. “I am afraid. Not of life, or death, or nothingness, but of wasting it as if I had never been.” ― Daniel Keyes
292. “Reality means you live until you die…the real truth is nobody wants reality.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
293. “Most men fear getting laughed at or humiliated by a romantic prospect while most women fear rape and death.” ― Gavin de Becker
294. “Yes, it’s a well-known fact about you: you’re like death, you take everything.” ― Milan Kundera
295. “End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
296. “Man cannot possess anything as long as he fears death. But to him who does not fear it, everything belongs. If there was no suffering, man would not know his limits, would not know himself. ” ― Leo Tolstoy
297. “Every poem should remind the reader that they are going to die.” ― Edgar Allen Poe
298. “Whether we like it or not, the one justification for the existence of all religions is death, they need death as much as we need bread to eat.” ― José Saramago
299. “No matter what, I want to continue living with the awareness that I will die. Without that, I am not alive.” ― Banana Yoshimoto
300. “Life is a spark between two identical voids, the darkness before birth and the one after death.” ― Irvin D. Yalom
What do you think about these quotes about death?
Something we should all remember is that each and every one of us grieves differently.
Each one of us has a different memory and relationship with the person who has passed away.
While some grieve openly, others keep it to themselves and put on a stoic face.
The important lesson to learn is that death and grief are unique and individual processes.
What is right for us may not fit another.
Hopefully, these quotes about death will help you embrace and grieve as needed and let others do the same.
What do you think about these death quotes?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.