These Gladiator quotes will bring back the excitement you felt while watching the movie.
The movie Gladiator, starring Russell Crowe as Maximus, was released in 2000.
If you missed the movie, or need a recap, it’s a thrilling revenge film.
Let us know your favorite Gladiator quote in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study by the University of California, Irvine found that watching a film like Gladiator can activate the same brain regions as real-life experiences, leading to increased emotional engagement and enjoyment.
This highlights the power of films to transport us to different worlds and elicit strong emotional responses.
What are the benefits of reading these Gladiator quotes?
Maximus is a Roman General who has led his soldiers to victory.
The emperor wants Maximus to take over his position instead of his own son, Commodus.
This doesn’t go over well when Commodus hears this.
He kills his father and eventually the wife and son of Maximus, who ends up being sold as a slave and trained as a gladiator.
The story follows his quest for revenge on Commodus.
These Gladiator quotes will:
- Give you a new perspective on life and challenges
- Help you understand revenge
- Offer you different perspectives on life
Gladiator was directed by Ridley Scott and written by David Franzoni, John Logan, and William Nicholson.
It was inspired by Daniel P. Mannix’s 1958 book Those About to Die.
The film’s ensemble cast includes Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Reed, Derek Jacobi, Djimon Hounsou, and Richard Harris.
The film received generally positive reviews from critics and was the second highest-grossing film of 2000.
It won multiple awards, including five at the 73rd Academy Awards and four at the 54th British Academy Film Awards.
Also, check out these famous movie quotes from your favorite characters.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Gladiator Quotes from Maximus
A survey by Fandango found that Gladiator was the top pick among moviegoers for the best historical epic of all time, beating out other classics like Braveheart and Lawrence of Arabia.
This highlights the enduring appeal of Gladiator as a beloved and iconic film in the historical epic genre.
1. “I think you’ve been afraid all your life.” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on sons of Anarchy quotes.
2. “What we do in life…..echoes in eternity.” – Maximus
3. “Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear.” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on beautiful smile quotes.
4. “Imagine where you will be, and it will be so.” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on Plato quotes.
5. “I think you’ve been afraid all your life.” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on beat all odds with a spartan attitude.
6. “Why don’t they know they’re already dead?” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on overcoming challenges dream chasers face.
7. “Ancestors, I honor you and will try to live with the dignity that you have taught me.” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on Phoenix quotes.
8. “I am a slave! What possible difference can I make?” – Maximus
9. “I’ve seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.” – Maximus
You will also enjoy our article on star wars quotes.
10. “Marcus Aurelius had a dream that was Rome. This is not it. This is not it!” – Maximus
You might also like these Casablanca quotes from the classic movie.
Gladiator Quotes from Commodus
According to a report by The New York Times, Gladiator inspired a resurgence of interest in historical epics and sword-and-sandal films, leading to a slew of similar films being produced in the years following its release.
This underscores the influence and impact of Gladiator on the film industry as a whole.
11. “All I’ve ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar. Father.” – Commodus
12. “You loved my father, I know. But so did I. That makes us brothers, doesn’t it? Smile for me now, brother.” – Commodus
13. “If they lie to me, they don’t respect me. If they don’t respect me, how can they ever love me?” – Commodus
14. “How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.” – Commodus
15. “I will give the people the greatest vision of their lives.” – Commodus
16. “He sleeps so well because he’s loved.” – Commodus
Also, check out these motivational wrestling quotes that will inspire you to never give up.
Gladiator Quotes from Proximo
Gladiator has a 8.5/10 rating on IMDb, indicating high audience approval.
This data shows that Gladiator is highly regarded among moviegoers and has a strong following.
17. “Ultimately, we are all dead men. Sadly we cannot choose how but we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.” – Proximo
18. “Gladiators… I salute you.” – Proximo
19. “We are nothing but dust and shadows. Dust and shadows!” – Proximo
Gladiator Quotes from Marcus Aurelius
Gladiator grossed over $460 million worldwide, making it one of the highest-grossing historical epics of all time.
This financial success is indicative of the popularity and widespread appeal of the film.
20. “You have proven your valor once again, Maximus. Let us hope for the last time.” – Marcus Aurelius
21. “Death smiles on us all. All a man can do is smile back.” – Marcus Aurelius
22. “There was once a dream that was Rome.” – Marcus Aurelius
23. “Commodus. Your faults as a son is my failure as a father.” – Marcus Aurelius
24. “When was the last time you were home?” – Marcus Aurelius
25. “I want you to become the protector of Rome after I die.” ― Marcus Aurelius
Did these Gladiator quotes inspire you to fight?
Watching the movie and reading through the quotes above can leave you feeling ready to fight for justice.
If you’re ready to take action, look for an area that you can invest your time and energy to serve in.
Hopefully, it’s not going to be a fight to the death as a Gladiator.
But it could be for something like social justice, animal conservation, or feeding hungry children.
Movies and writers have a way of stirring up emotion in us that makes us want to do something. Tap into that energy and find a cause that you care about to invest in.
Did you enjoy these Gladiator quotes and lines?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.